- Convert EDB to PST using the ExMerge utility in Exchange Server 2003 – Part 1
- Convert EDB to PST using Exchange Management Shell cmdlets in Exchange 2007 & later versions – Part 2
- Convert EDB to PST using Exchange Admin Center in Exchange Server 2013 & 2016 – Part 3
Convert EDB to PST using Exchange Management cmdlets in Exchange 2007 & later versions
In Exchange Server 2007 and later versions, administrators export Exchange mailboxes to PST using PowerShell cmdlets. However, the PowerShell cmdlets vary with the Exchange Server version. Here, we are going to discuss the EDB to PST conversion manual process in Exchange Server 2016 version, using the New-MailboxExportRequest cmdlet.
Try Kernel for Exchange Server Recovery to simplify the EDB to PST conversion process. Just add the EDB file (healthy or corrupt) to the tool and export mailboxes to PST files. You can perform Exchange/Office 365 migrations as well.
Prerequisites for Converting EDB mailboxes to PST
For converting Exchange mailboxes to PST, the user must meet the following requirements:
- The user must have Mailbox Import Export Role assigned to him to perform the export. You can use Exchange Admin Center to assign permissions. To assign the required rights, the following cmdlet can be executed.
- The PST saving location must be a shared one.
|“New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Role “Mailbox Import Export” -User “”<user name or alias>”|
Using Exchange Management Shell cmdlets to convert Exchange mailboxes to PST
convert the EDB mailboxes to PST in Exchange Server 2016, using the PowerShell cmdlet New-MailboxExportRequest. You can run the PowerShell cmdlets in the following syntax:
Here, mailbox name will be the name of the mailbox which is to be exported and destination file path is the location of the PST file. For instance,
|New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox email@example.com -FilePath “\\NDRWEB76-PC2\PST Data\Kanishka_PST.pst”|
Hence, your EDB mailbox gets saved to the specified PST file location.
Limitations with Exchange Management Shell command line tool
Using cmdlets, the tool exports EDB mailbox to PST file, but it has some flaws as well. Some of them are:
- Good knowledge of the EMS cmdlets is required
- Does not recover mailboxes from corrupt EDB file
- Mailbox should be mounted on Exchange Server
Free EDB to PST conversion using EMS cmdlets, users should be technically good. Although, the user can take a chance with small migration using this free EDB to PST converter method, it becomes complicated with multiple mailbox migration.