The default file format of an Excel worksheet is XLSX and whenever the user opens any file, then it is opened with the same extension. Sometimes, when the user ties to open the sheet, then an unwanted error stops the file from opening. The error does not recognize the extension of file. It says, ‘Excel cannot open the file ‘(filename)’.xlsx because the file format for the file extension is not valid.’
There is always a number associated with such errors, to find that number press “Ctrl+Shift+I” and you’ll find “101590” at the lower-right corner of this message. There could be the following reasons behind this error;
- The Excel file is corrupt or
- The Excel file is not compatible with the version of MS Excel you’re using.
There are various Excel errors and ways to fix them, and this error can also be fixed easily. In this article, we have mentioned some of the useful methods to solve this error.
- Change the Extension of The Worksheet
Many times, this error occurs due to the unsupported file extension of your file. So, make sure that MS Excel in your system supports the .xlsx extension. To check the support of .xlsx extension;
- open MS Excel and go to “File.”
- Now, select “Export” and choose “Change File Type.”
- Check whether it is showing the option of .xlsx or not. If not, then change the extension of the file. To change the extension, go to my computer and browse “Tools.” Now, choose the “View” tab and enable “File Name Extension.”
- After enabling the “File Name Extension,” you can change the extension of any file.
- Open MS Excel and Go to “File” Menu.
- Now, select the “Open” tab and click on “Browse.”
- Choose the file which you want to open, but instead of opening the file directly, choose “Open and Repair” option from the below right side of the opened window:
From this feature, you can easily repair and open the corrupted .xlsx files.
- Kernel for Excel Repair SoftwareIf none of the above methods helps in solving the problem, then try using Kernel Excel Repair software. This tool can help you repair corrupt excel files and make your worksheet accessible immediately. This utility offers some great features to solve your query, such as;
- Repairing of both .xls and .xlsx file formats.
- No file size limitation.
- Compatibility with all versions of Excel – including MS Excel 2016.
- Preview of recovered files before saving.
- Quick and easy to use.
For better understanding, let’s have a look at the working process of this tool.
Using Kernel Excel Repair is very simple. The user-interface of this tool is specially designed keeping the usability of users in mind. Follow these steps to use the tool:
- Download Kernel for Excel recovery and launch it on your system
- A window will appear on the screen, now “Browse” the Excel file which you want to repair with this tool and click “Repair” like this:
- The repairing process will take a few seconds (depending on the file size). Once the file is repaired, you’ll be able to see all its content, like this:
- You can save the file at the desired location on the computer. Just click the “Save” button and select the location where you want to save it.
This way you can easily access the data of your corrupted .xlsx file.
“Excel cannot open the file ‘(filename)’.xlsx because the file format for file extension is not valid” is a common error that any user can face while opening a .xlsx file. With the help of the above methods, this error can easily be resolved without affecting the integrity of the file.
Watch the Complete Video to Repair Corrupt Excel Files