MBOX is the generic data file format used in more than 20 types of email clients to save email messages. The email message is held in the plain text file and stored in the client’s computer. Some of the significant MBOX file email clients are Mozilla Thunderbird, Apple Mail, Opera Mail, Entourage, Netscape, etc. The newer version of the Apple Mail uses EMLX in place of MBOX to save the email files.
Unfortunately the MBOX file isn’t readable in Microsoft Outlook platform, which is why user needs to transfer MBOX files to Outlook-supported PST files. Although the problem does not end-up here, as there is no direct method to import MBOX files in Outlook platform. Though, there is a long and intricate manual method, which involves the use of Eudora along with Outlook Express and MS Outlook Email clients to convert Apple Mail to PST files.
Note: Before taking any steps towards the process of Apple Mail to PST conversion, it is essential to keep a backup of your MBOX files (Apple Mail)to some safe location on your hard drive. Backing up your data is always a smart strategy to avoid mishaps, where anything goes wrong with the conversion steps. Because manual methods are always risky and it is always recommended either to take assistance of a professional or avoid manual MBOX to PST conversion.
Module I: On Apple Email
Import Apple Mail Mailbox: In this Module, Apple Mail mailbox items are imported in MBOX file. Follow the below mentioned steps precisely.
- Launch Apple Mail program on your machine
- Go to the File Menu, and open ‘Import Mailboxes…’ option
- Select ‘files in MBOX Format’ option to import the data. Click Continue to proceed further
- Provide the location where you wish to save the recently created MBOX file. Now select the MBOX file that you wish to import. Select Choose option to import the file.
- Click done, when the importing process finishes.
- Click ‘Import’ folder in the mailbox list to open the imported items located in the Import section of Apple Mail.
After importing Apple Mail mailbox items to MBOX files, you have to install Eudora email client, because there is no direct method to convert Apple Mail MBOX files to Outlook PST files.
Module II: On Eudora
Install the latest version of Eudora email client (Windows version) on your machine. Once you have successfully executed the program , perform the following steps:
- Add MBOX file extension to the imported file (in the earlier module). For example if the file was named as “IMPORTMBOX”, then rename it as “IMPORTMBOX.mbx”.
- In this step, transfer the file, i.e. “InboxMBOX.mbx”, to Eudora’s directory, where the files are saved. The default location is: C:Documents and SettingsApplication Data\Qualcomm\Eudora
- Open Eudora program on your machine. To create mailbox, perform double-click operation on the InboxMBOX.mbx file.
- Quit Eudora program.
Module III: On Outlook Express
- Launch Outlook Express program.
- Go to the File menu, and then click on Import > Messages…. Option.
- Choose Eudora from the presented list. Now select on Next option to proceed further.
- Provide the path on which you have transferred InboxMBOX.mbx file. Select OK option.
- Select Next, and again Next option. Click Finish.
This way you can successfully locate the imported mailbox in the Local Folders segment of Outlook Express program.
Module IV: On Microsoft Outlook
- Launch MS Outlook program
- Go to File tab and click Open option
- Select Import option and click on Import and Export Wizard
- Click Import Internet Mail and Addresses, and then click on Next option
- Choose Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x or Windows Mail option. Now check mark the Import Mail option. Hit the Next button
- Locate the imported mailbox in Outlook, available in the location: Outlook Today – [Personal Folders]
Third Party Tool
With the above way, you can convert Apple Mail to PST files manually. However, if you find the above-described method a little time-consuming and intricate, then you can choose any third-party tool to perform the job of conversion with least efforts and in a very short period. Just like Kernel for MBOX to PST tool, with the help of which you can perform the migration without any problem. Install and run the software in your system and then follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Click on the Browse button to add the desired Apple Mail folder.
- Select the file and add, then click Finish to proceed.
- Click on the Save button to save the file in the desired format.
- Select the PST file (MS Outlook) as your saving format option and click on Next.
- Now, you can decide whether you want a single PST file or multiple PST files in a limited size category. So, manage the converted PST file here and click on Next.
- At this stage provide the destination to your file and click on Finish.
- The process will take place, and once the file is converted, you will get a dialogue box. Click on OK to finish.
There are several manual ways to migrate Apple Mail MBOX manually, but I found the automated way with Kernel the easiest one to perform. Kernel for MBOX to PST can efficiently convert MBOX files for example; Apple Mailbox MBOX files, Opera MBOX files, and Thunderbird MBOX files to PST format. The software supports 20 popular MBOX-supported email clients to offer one-stop conversion solution using a single utility. The software also supports the conversion of multiple MBOX files at once with advanced migration support to Office 365 platform.