MBOX file format is used extensively by various email clients like Mozilla Thunderbird, Spicebird, Apple Mail, Opera Mail, Entourage, etc., to store email messages. Despite its massive usage, there are certain security issues with this format. Also, MBOX file format is not supported by Microsoft applications which include the leading email client- MS Outlook. To make the content more accessible, MBOX file data can be imported into the user’s Gmail account.
This article talks about methods to import MBOX to Gmail using Outlook itself.
A manual method to import MBOX to Gmail using Outlook
To begin with, there is no direct method where MBOX content can be transferred into the Gmail account.
These steps need to be taken for a smooth import process-
- Add a Gmail account in Outlook
- Turn on the IMAP settings in Gmail
- Convert MBOX to PST & import to Outlook
Add a Gmail Account in Outlook
It is necessary to add the Gmail account to which you want to export the data from the MBOX file.
- STEP 1 – Open the MS Outlook application on your system and click on “File.”
- STEP 2 – Click on “Account Settings” under the same heading.
- STEP 3 – A new window will be displayed. Click on “New.”
- STEP 4 – Mention your email details and click on “Connect.”
Turn on the IMAP Settings in Gmail
IMAP enables users to access their emails from anywhere and any device. By switching this setting on, users can view emails from Outlook as well.
- STEP 1- Open your Gmail account and click on “Settings.”
- STEP 2 – From the drop-down menu, click on “See all settings.”
- STEP 3 – Move to the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab, scroll down to IMAP access and click on “Enable IMAP”. Finally, click on “Save changes.”
Convert MBOX to PST & import to Outlook
Microsoft Outlook does not support MBOX file format. It stores all the data in a PST file. Hence, all the MBOX files need to be converted into the PST format. Due to the complexity and confidentiality involved, using professional software is the best resort. MBOX to PST helps to carry the task within a few clicks.
However, these manual steps can also prove to be helpful:
- STEP 1 – Click on “File” in Outlook.
- STEP 2 – From the left panel, click on “Open & Export.”
- STEP 3 – Click on “Import/Export”.
- STEP 4 – The Import and Export Wizard will appear; click on “Import from another program or file.”
- STEP 5 – Choose “Outlook Data File (.pst)” and click on “Next.”
- STEP 6 – Click on “Browse” to select the converted MBOX file and click on “Next.”
- STEP 7 – Choose the email account and click on “Finish.”
- STEP 8 – The data will be displayed in the previously selected location.
Disadvantages of Manual Methods:
- Manual methods are cumbersome and require a lot of time and effort.
- It is not ideal when you want to import multiple MBOX to Gmail using Outlook.
- This method can be carried by a professional who has adequate technical knowledge about Outlook. Beginners might struggle with this a bit.
- A huge risk of losing the data is there.
Import MBOX to Gmail in a jiffy-
As mentioned earlier, there are various disadvantages to manual methods, especially when dealing with crucial professional data. An easier approach is to opt for professional software like the Kernel MBOX to PST, which gets work done in a jiffy, maintaining the integrity and security of the data involved.
The tool allows its users to migrate their MBOX files into web clients like Gmail, Outlook.com, Yahoo, iCloud, AOL, etc., while being selective about the data using various filters. It shares good compatibility with all the versions of the Windows operating system.
Follow these steps to import MBOX to Gmail:
- STEP 1 – Install the Kernel MBOX to PST on your system.
- STEP 2 – Click on “Browse” to add the MBOX file or folder. Then, click on “Finish.”
- STEP 3 – A comprehensive preview will be generated once you select the items.
- STEP 4 – From the list of saving options, click on “Gmail” and then on “Next.”
- STEP 5 – You can add filters to import specific items only. Click on “Next.”
- STEP 6 – You can type the login credentials and click on “Finish.”
- STEP 7 – The data will be imported to the Gmail account successfully.
To begin with, there is no direct method to import MBOX to Gmail using Outlook. The manual method is lengthy and can be carried out only by a sound professional. It involves setting up the Gmail account in Outlook, enabling IMAP settings, converting MBOX files to PST, and transferring it to the Gmail mailbox. This entire process could be done quickly while keeping the data secure by using professional software like the MBOX to PST. The tool is also capable to import Apple mail MBOX file to Outlook PST without any interruption.