In our present blog, we explore the export of the Thunderbird files to Outlook PST format. It also discusses the differences between the two formats and the need to export Thunderbird to Outlook PST formats. The difference between the two files lies in the fact that while Mozilla Thunderbird is a free-of-cost open source email client, while the latter, MS Outlook, is a product of Microsoft and is a paid email client.
Why Would You Want to Convert or Export Thunderbird to Outlook PST?
There are several reasons which necessitate the export of the MBOX or Thunderbird files to PST format. In the paragraph given below, the same has been elaborated:
- Thunderbird lacks enterprise-level features and quality customer support.
- Thunderbird does not have features for tasks and scheduling.
- Thunderbird does not have a calendar integration and grouping contacts, unlike Outlook PST.
- If you want to view message threads in Thunderbird, you are sure to go through a lengthy setup or procedure. This again is not the case with Outlook.
Though Thunderbird extensively backs several platforms, the reasons mentioned above compel most if not all people to move from their Thunderbird to Outlook PST.
Methods of Export Thunderbird to Outlook PST
You can try a manual technique for exporting MBOX to PST file format.
- In your Thunderbird email client, open that folder you wish to export.
- To select a particular email, you will now have the press and then hold to “Ctrl” and if you want to select all of your email messages, press “Ctrl+A.”
- Now, right-click on the emails you have selected and then press Save As option to save in a convenient location.
- Now, turn on your Microsoft Outlook app.
- You need to now, click on the folder entitled “Outlook” and then press “New Folder.”
- On the section with the title “Name,” enter the name you wish to enter for the new folder and then press “Ok.” to generate it.
(Here, you need to note that your New Folder, which you created, is empty)
- Select all of the emails that you had exported from your Thunderbird by using Ctrl+A.
- After making a selection of all of your emails, drag them to the folder of your Microsoft Outlook app to import the messages into the new folder which you created previously.
- Now, post-import, you can easily view your emails.
Drawbacks of the Manual Method
The manual process will turn out to be useful only in the case that you’ve got a limited number of emails. But in case you have a considerable amount of emails to be migrated, many a time, the manual method is bound to fail. Here are some reasons why it fails:
- The manual method takes a very long time to be completed because of the dragging and dropping of email messages.
- Mostly, the graphics are shown as broken images post-migration.
- Emails frequently lose their unique SMTP header.
- One cannot be too sure if each of the emails has been migrated.
- There could also be a risk of your loss of data.
Since there are so many disadvantages of manual methods, it is often advisable to use a third-party tool.
An Easy Method for Exporting MBOX to PST
In case the manual method has failed, there are different third-party tools to help you export Thunderbird to Outlook PST. In the present instance, we’re talking about the MBOX to PST Converter software.
The tool stands apart from similar tools from the other firms due to its exclusive features. Some of its features are as follows:
- Is capable of converting all MBOX format files.
- Helps in the migration of total mailbox items such as the attachments, emails, etc.
- Can migrate MBOX file of above 20 different email clients, including Thunderbird, Apple Mail, and so on.
- Is compatible with all Windows versions.
- Enables the user to preview all items post-scanning.
Having talked of the features of the software, let us now proceed to the working of the MBOX to PST Converter. The converter can be used in this way:
- Firstly, browse to select the MBOX file you wish to convert. Click Finish.
- From the folder list, select the folder, select the required emails. And select PST file (MS Outlook) from the saving options.
- Now you get the following window showing the selected saving option. Click Next.
- On the Select Filter(s) window, apply the filters and click Next.
- Provide the splitting option and other details. Click on Next.
- Select the saving path by clicking on the Browse button. Click on the Finish button.
- On completion, you will be informed in the following manner:
- Click on Ok.
Thunderbird and Outlook have several differences. Many people these days are converting MBOX to PST files to migrate from Thunderbird to Outlook, be it through the usage of manual methods or third-party tools. Our tool can be used to migrate to the latest version of Outlook like Thunderbird to Outlook 2016, 2013, or 2019 using the same procedure. In the present blog, we aimed to help you in your how to export Thunderbird to Outlook PST situations, which we most certainly hope we have succeeded. If things don’t work out in the manual method, don’t forget to check out MBOX to PST Converter Tool.