When the user from IMAP and POP-based email clients register their accounts in the Outlook application, a mailbox is created, and the information is saved in the PST data file. Whenever the user opens the Outlook application, the mailbox data is retrieved from the individual PST file. Sometimes, when the user tries to open the account, then an error occurs and shows a message-
“The Path specified for the PST file is not valid.”
Outlook shows such an error when the PST file is not present at the default location.
The default location of the PST file
The default saving location of the PST file depends on the version of Outlook and the Operating System.
Outlook 2019 and Outlook 2016
Windows 10 – C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
Outlook 2013 and older
Windows 10 – C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
If your account is created by an Administrator and he/she has changed the location due to any reason, you can ask the Administrator to change the location.
If you open the Account Settings page, then you can see the location of the PST file by opening the File location. Click ‘Open File Location.’
When you click the Open File Location option and do not find the individual PST file, then it means that either the file has been moved, deleted, or has become corrupt.
You can also search the PST file in the Window Explorer with the. PST extension, and if you find the PST file, then you can move it to the default location. You can also assign the same location to the account.
If you find the PST file and it shows any kind of error, then it means that the file is corrupt and stopping the Outlook from accessing the mailboxes. You should use the ScanPST tool and repair the data file.
Use the ScanPST tool
Access the ScanPST tool from its location.
ScanPST tool path – C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office 16
- After opening the inbuilt repair tool, click the Browse option.
- Choose the PST file from its location and click Open.
- After selecting the PST file, you need to click the Start button. But, before starting the repair process, close the Outlook.
- The tool has scanned the PST file and concluded that there are some minor inconsistencies in the file. Click the Repair button.
- The Repair is complete, and you can now access the PST file by attaching it again in Outlook.
Make the backup of the PST file.
When the PST file is facing a corruption and deletion problem, then you should take the backup of the file before going to the repair through the ScanPST tool. If the file is lost completely, then you can restore the data using the backup file. Follow the steps below-
- Close the Outlook application. Then start the Control Panel from the application menu.
- Go to the Mail option and double-click to open it.
- Click Show Properties.
- Choose the profile showing the error and click Properties.
- Select Data Files.
- Under the Name tab, choose Personal Folder Service that you want to save in the backup. The Personal Folder Service is the default, and it can be different depending on the username.
- Click Settings and not down the path of the file.
- Close the application and go to the path of a data file.
- Copy the data file and paste it to a different location.
Now, you have a copy of the data file, and you can restore the file whenever required.
Outlook PST Recovery
When the PST file is corrupt severely, then the ScanPST tool can remove the complete data rather than recovering it. So, it would help if you used professional assistance like PST Recovery tool. The software can retrieve the multiple mailboxes present in the PST file, and the tool has a simple user interface where the user can view the preview of the repaired mailbox items. There are several output formats and features to save the resultant file in a user-defined folder. A large-sized PST file can be easily divided into multiple smaller PST file with the help of Outlook PST Recovery tool.