In the recent past, Microsoft Office 365 has gained popularity due to the several benefits it offers to its users. Thus, both small and large businesses wish to migrate to Office 365 from other platforms, especially those using Lotus Notes. The reason being, managing Lotus Notes is not only difficult but also causes several issues as well.
Moreover, Office 365 handles emails and performs other tasks significantly better. However, transferring Lotus Notes (IBM Notes) data items stored in NSF file formats to Office 365 requires you to possess the necessary technical expertise so that the transfer process is executed correctly, and that businesses do not have to face any situation of data loss. This Blog will explain how to migrate from Lotus Notes to Office 365 using IMAP Connector through a step-by-step process. Let’s get started!
Why Migrate From Lotus Notes to Office 365?
The factors that are responsible for Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration are mentioned below:
- Maintaining Lotus Notes is not cost-effective compared to Office 365 cloud platform
- Office 365 and Exchange Online offer s excellent functional features for businesses
- Require technical skills to use IBM Notes
- IBM Notes is not easy to learn, it requires sharp learning
- Office 365 has an interactive and cost-effective environment as compared to IBM Notes
Disadvantages of Manual Method: Using IMAP Server
Users face a lot of issues while migrating Lotus Notes to Office 365 account manually. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Due to active Proxy and Firewall, Lotus Notes fails to make a connection with the internet
- IMAP connection cannot be established if the Lotus Notes client is in disable mode
- Calendar entries cannot be transferred with an IMAP connector; hence you need to do it manually
- IMAP protocol migrates only online data to Office 365
- It has a file size limitation which can migrate only emails to a limit of 1 GB
- IMAP requires a high-level technical setup for the process, therefore the user needs to apply several filters that are complex and expensive.
Exclusive Solution to Perform Migration of Lotus Notes to Office 365
As discussed above, the manual method has many critical limitations and disadvantages. Hence, it is suggested to use the premier solution – Office 365 Migrator for Lotus Notes that makes the migration task easy for you. It offers migration of local NSF files, SmartCloud Notes, and Domino Server data to Office 365 destination location easily. It lets users preview the content of local NSF files before migration and also helps in selective migration through the use of advanced integrated filter options. The tool makes it easy to map source and destination mailboxes with automated and manual mapping techniques offering to move impersonation rights to Office 365 mailboxes directly.
Let us know how the Office 365 Migrator for Lotus Notes tool works after installing it on the Windows system.
- Launch Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration Software
To add NSF files, click Add Local NSF file(s).
- Browse to add files that you want to migrate and click Open after selecting.
- Before migrating, you can see a complete preview of selected NSF file content by clicking on the Preview button.
- Click on any mailbox folder, select the file item and preview its content.
- Now, to initiate the migration task, click the Migrate button.
- Now, click Migrate option.
- Enter Office 365 Login credentials and click OK. You can also assign Impersonation rights to Office 365 mailboxes.
- Set NSF files to Office 365 mailbox on Map automatically mode from source to target. Click Get Target Mailboxes
Select source mailbox and click Mapping option. Then add target mailbox. Similarly perform for other source mailboxes.
After completing the mapping, click OK.
- Select among the most appropriate filters to select only the desired data to migrate.
- Choose the saving mode to save files to Office 365 mailbox and click OK.
- Migration is started and if you want to cancel it, then click the Stop button.
- Finally, the NSF files are migrated to Office 365 and you will get a successful message that saving is complete.
IBM Notes migration to Cloud is the most wanted migration today and is very typical when performed manually and required complete technical knowledge about the platform. There are certain limitations as well when using the manual IMAP Server process to migrate NSF to Office 365. Hence, it becomes tough for an average user to perform Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration. Thus, the best solution is to opt for a professional third-party application for such migration.